Friday, 9 May 2014

Fellini Satyricon - Federico Fellini - Giuseppe Rotunno

I went into this film a bit sceptical. The description I read sold it as a work about excess, amoralism and hedonism  – themes which I have tended to avoid after my encounter with Pasolini's The Decameron (hint: I hated it). What I didn't expect was one of the most colourful, energetic, imaginative and entertaining films I have had the pleasure to view.

I can't decide which visual element of Fellini Satyricon I prefer: the vivid colours or the imaginative, multi-layered compositions. Ultimately, the two go together to create a look unlike any I have seen before (please tell me I'm ignorant and point me to other similarly gorgeous films, thanks).

Top 3:

What can I say about this shot? Easily in my top 10 of all time. The position of the actors in the frame emphasises the vast open space. An ethereal haze is created from dust from the ground and steam from the pool. The camera traces the lines of the field perfectly. Ominous clouds loom in the background, making the actors into gorgeous silhouettes. Masterful.  
I adore hand-drawn backgrounds (great examples are Kwaidan, Hausu and Black Narcissus). Couple that with a deep frame and striking imagery, and it's almost like this shot was made for me. 

Fantastic use of space and layers. The artwork doesn't hurt either.

The rest:
The opening shot of the film. You instantly know that you're in for something special.

















This shot through the door is only visible for a split-second, but really stuck in my mind.


















Yes








Oh the colours.






















































I love the calm, minimalistic look of this shot in comparison to the very busy, vibrant frames which saturate the film.



































































This could almost be a painting.



No comments:

Post a Comment